Wednesday, 2 July 2008

Computers, technology and stupid eyes...

ROFL yes, I have been having all kinds of problems lately with both my pc and laptop. Now one I know is quite well used and getting full and I have 'purged' loads of stuff I don't need and backed up even more to my portable harddrive and dvd disks.

However, the laptop is a whole new ball game. These machines are not quite the same as a desktop but one would have thought (or the logical part of my brain anyway thought) that things like sound and stuff would be the same. Yes, I would have assumed this. Oh and as for bluetooth and wireless, don't get me started!

Well yes get me started LOL, coz I spent so much time yesterday afternoon/evening/last night and this morning nearly going white grey trying to figure for the life of me why my bluetooth/wireless had switched it's self off and how the heck did I get it back on again.

I was following all the on screen prompts, I know about the hardware list and how to 'enable' things. I know that there should have been a certain window pop up to say "hey connect to Wirgnet" will ya! But noooooooo did that screen want to present it's self to me? NOOOOOOO.

I was not well this morning, I thinkI have a sinus or throat infection so I wasn't in the best of moods anyway. I stayed home out of the wild wind in Sydney today and decide this bl@@dy piece of technology is not going to get the better of me.

About 11am I caved and phoned the very sweet young lads at the computer shop I go to for all my computer needs. I read out the screens, I talked through what I was doing, nooooo nothing, hmmmm Virginia, can you bring it in now, I'll look at it for you says young Ben PC guy (yes it's a popular name is Ben).

I get there and he's fiddling and clicking and plugging in the power coz I'd not had it charged long enough LOL. Okay Virginia, take a look at this, if it ever happens again press these two buttons at the same time and this window will come up.

How the heck did ya do that I ask him? Hold on, I'll get the 'manual' out and I'll write that bit of priceless info down incase this menopausal brain chucks a wobbly and won't reboot and bring up that little gem ever again.

He laughs raucously, we are sorted. But then I ask okay whilst I'm here, what's with my sound on this thing? I bought some speakers to go with it which are really good but when I got to Perth the darn things wouldn't work, what am I doing wrong, did they get 'fried' going through the xray machine, what what whaaaaatttttt??????

Okay, Ben/PC guy has a look at them, hey how cool are these Virginia, where'd ya get them? JBHiFi I tell him but aggrrrrr they wouldn't work in Perth and they have new batteries and all. Not even my ipod would work with them. Okay, said speakers are tiny, flat TDK things, great sound when I first got them, so Wirg was not happy that they seemed to have carked it, or the laptop had murdered them.

Hmmmmm says Ben, lets have a looky here. Fiddles with them, unplugs all the plugs, looks at the two white ones and the green one. Okay fiddle fiddle, boom out comes Abba like a huge boom box!! What did ya do, how did ya get them to work, show me so I can take notes says Wirg.

Okay, now the embarassing part..... Virginia see the two white plugs? Yes Ben, and see the green one, yes Ben, well the two white ones go into the back of the speakers, the usb goes into the little tiny powerpack and the GREEN one goes to the laptop, okay!!! Oh dohhhhh, how embarrassment. All this time I thought they'd died but in truth I had one white and one green plugged into the speakers and one white plugged into the laptop. OH Derrrrrrrr to moi.

After much laughter and a promise they would not tell my hubby when he goes in to collect his pc that's there for a service, I purchase some more blank cds and home I came.

That's my day till oooh, it's almost midday.

hugs
Wirg, the techno dummy airhead tee hee hee

No comments: