I thought of this this afternoon. Why do I blog? Why bother, why put on the WWW my all my thoughts and feelings, warts and all? Why do it when anyone can read it?
So why do I bother? Well, there's not a short answer to this question really. Or one particular reason either.
I do it because it keeps my family and friends intouch with what's going on in our world. I don't have any relatives in Australia other than my Dad & sister who are about 3 hours drive away and my brother and his family who are in another state and about 2 days drive away (or 2 hours by plane if you can afford the airfares these days)
I also like to diarise things that happen, how I feel and generally 'vent' on things that upset me or get me fired up. I like to share the good, the bad and the ugly. I like to have an outlet to go to to record things that I want to remember.
Now and then I save this blog, keeping a copy of it on a separate harddrive. It's like journalling but I can type a lot faster than I can handwrite. So it's all here for when ever I want to use snippets in my scrapbooking.
I also keep 2 blogs now, one for my personal stuff and one for my creative stuff. It's much easier to keep track of now I've done this to be honest.
Many years ago, in the mid 90's when I first got a computer, I taught myself HTML and used to have a website, several actually. I got quite good at it, but it was a real chore.
I also wrote and kept uptodate, a website for a Sydney based Rubber Stamp Artists group called the Stampers of Sydney (SOS). I did that for over 3 years, but it got rather laborious and I wasn't a member the last 2 years I was doing it. Talk about a labour of love, I think I had rocks in my head. When I first joined that club, it was so much fun and I learnt an awful lot and made some life long friends.
But as things have a habit of doing, the club changed and it couldn't hold my loyalty so I resigned. After 3 years of doing the website (which I still have a copy of to this day) I pulled it at the end of the last meeting of that year. I think I'd given enough of myself to that club and I didn't think it was truly realised just how much time and effort it took to maintain the site and at my own expense. It's gone now, and I enjoyed it at first but you know what?
Blogging is so much easier. I wish it had been around back then coz truthfully, there'd probably still be an SOS blog today if there had.
I love to go visiting other peoples blogs too. It's a good way to see what's happening in my crafty world and to stay in touch with friends.
It can be enlightening, eye opening and down right frightening to say the least when you go blog hopping too. Sometimes you may come across someone who's personal opinions will really rub you up the wrong way. But hey, that's the nature of the beast. That's the beauty of it, anyone can say what they want, voice their opinions, whethere people agree or like it, well it doesn't matter. It's your blog and you can say what you want.
Anyway, that's what I wanted to share on this entry.
byeee for now
Wirg.
No comments:
Post a Comment