Oh how much fun did we have yesterday up near my Dad's place, in a very quiet stretch of country road to start son's driving experience!! I've put this on a couple of posts at forums I'm a member of, so forgive me if you've already read it. It's quicker to copy/paste it than reword/retype it again.
Part one....lesson one...
Oh how much fun it was Saturday to give son his first drive in my car. I thought I'd be 'packing it' to be honest but I was so calm. He really appreciated my instruction too. We went to a long quiet road in Chain Valley Bay North, right to the end where it turns into a national park.
I turned the car around, then we swapped seats. I got him to go through where everything was, how to adjust the seat, the mirrors etc. Talked him through the steps to take before he even took off. Okay, look in mirrors, indicate, look over shoulder for blind spot, put car in drive, slowly take foot off break, handbreak off, check mirrors again and slowly press accelorator.
Off we went at 40ks in an 80k zone LOL. He gets the hang of it, we drive 1.5 ks down this straight road and I talk him through indicating, pulling off the road, coming to a stop, handbreak on, car in park, engine off.
So far so good. We did this another time, I drove back to the start and off he goes. Me thinks he has a bit of a lead foot, he's up to 50 before we knew it. I do the turn around and back to the start. Third time and that's enough for today thanks Mum. So, so far still so good. I tell him as a big truck was coming to pull over and let it go past, don't pull in too far because there'd been a ton of rain up there and the road was not curbed.
This is the funny bit, I say okay don't go to far in, there's a big ditch of water. Okay so he's pulled in, truck passes, but I say okay you are going to have to pull out go past that white marking post and pull in where we'd been turning around, loads of room, sandy area, no water or mud coz I couldn't get out at that spot for all the water. Son goes to take off and what a wheely he does in the mud. I could hear it all splattering the side of my white car.
Both of us in hysterical fits of laughter, he gets us to the selected spot, we swap seats and I drive us back to Dads. So son, how much mud is there on that side of the car then? Um well Mum I think I'd better wash it for you as soon as we get to Grandad's. I get out at Grandads and just about kack myself laughing. There's my lovely white car with the dirtiest, chunkiest looking gt stripe of mud from the front wheel to the back lights!
Too funny, don't tell Dad will ya Mum, he'll payout on me laughing. No he won't. Well he did, but son doesn't know he knows. That was our first lesson, 4.5ks driven in 1/2 an hour, another 119.5hrs to go for his log book ROFL.
He has said to me that he thinks he'll like driving the manual car more because you can't take off as fast as you do in my car. How do you end up when going down a hill Mum, does it speed up or is that coz your foots on the pedal? How not to laugh hysterically at that. You put your foot on the break Ben and slow yourself down. Such an obvious thing, but I guess when you are first starting out and know nothing even about car mechanics, it's not that daft a question to ask.
Stay tuned for more updates on the adventures of driving with Ben! Thanks for reading, oh yes and my car is lovely and clean, except the back mudflap, we noticed when we pulled up the driveway at home. Don't tell Dad will ya Mum, nooooo son!
Wirg
No comments:
Post a Comment