I wish I could say they have started work on our now even more damaged house but what THE, they haven't!!
The insurance company sent the builders out to requote on installing a new colourbond roof instead of tiles. They sent a quote in that said we'd have to pay $17,000 towards it, WHAT THAAAAAA??????????? Hubby's parents had a new roof on a few weeks ago. Their house is much bigger than ours and it was only $7,000 including extra insulation so we to say it midely, are very over it and disappointed.
To make things worse 10 days ago we had yet more torrential rain here in Sydney. I was home alone and had to move some bookcases that had all our cd's and small stero on top.
Water was dripping it's merry dirty way down the wall where that lovely hole has been covered over by such trendy and fashionable (NOT!) chipboard. Hence, more damage and the wall's got to be re-painted as well. And the ceiling in the lounge room has also started to swell and bubble where there's a main beam going through.
We had a call from the insurer's very early the morning after that storm. Have the builders been in touch and started yet? NOOOOOOO says irrate hubby at us being woken up around 7.30am on the only morning of the week we get to sleep in!
Insurer's are now really irrate with the builders and said they'd be in touch asap. In the mean time, I've gone and got a couple of independent quotes to have a colourbond (enamelled corrugated tin if you don't know what Aussie Colourbond is). One of them was the same, I think hubby told the bloke what the original quote was and copied it. The 2nd one was amazing, but hubby didn't want to send it in because he felt we'd still have to be paying for some of it and we just don't have the money at all.
Sooo last Thursday when we'd still heard nothing, I phoned the insurance company and asked if they wanted to see this quote. Yes please they said and while I was on the phone they also admitted that the builders had 'dropped the ball' big time as far as work they'd been asked to do in our area in regards to the storm damage. I also had someone come take some measurements to replace our ripped canvas awnings and when he heard which building company it was said the same thing and then some.
Seems said building company has been sending subcontractors out to do work without any insurance or Workcover, plus the subbies had been caught taking cash payments from customers without declaring it. Well why am I not surprized???
Sooooooo the insurers said they'd be back to us within 24 hours. What happens at 4.50pm Friday arov? I get a return email from the insurers saying they'd agreed to pay for option one of the quote I'd sent them and they'd get the cheque made out to the new builder as soon as we accept that offer. Did we what, we couldn't email them back fast enough. Now we just have to get the guy out here to measure properly and hopefully I'll have some good news soon to share, ie a date they start the new roof.
As for all our ceilings that need replacing, that's another story, we are still waiting on that front.
So that's what's been going on. To say it's been a long drawn out wait is an understatement but hubby's due home soon and he was phoning the new builder to make sure all is still 'A' okay!
EDIT.... Update, the builder will be here tomorrow arvo to sort out all the nitty gritty to start our new roof, woohooooooo
See ya for now.
Wirg
No comments:
Post a Comment