Sunday, 12 October 2008

Operation Christmas Child...

Have you heard of this? No, well go take a look at Samaritan's Purse website and read up about it.

I can't praise Operation Christmas Child enough. It is the most wonderful thing to be involved in. Every year our church has been putting together shoe boxes filled to the brim of goodies for children from some of the most impoverished/war torn parts of our world. We've seen some of the most wonderful things come from the simple action of giving a child a shoe box with items some of take for granted everyday.


As you can see by this shoe box put together today, it can hold a lot of goodies and things that a lot of children probably never would have. Did you know that if you give a child from some African countries the simplest things like some pencils and a writing pad, it means they can go to school? It's true. We have two kids in our church who's parents were missionaries in Zambia. The kids are teens now but were born over there to Aussie parents. They received shoe boxes one year and they always say how much it ment to them that a stranger cared enough to put their surprize boxes together.

As you can see, you can fit an awful lot of stuff in just one shoe box, I had trouble getting it all in and I wanted to fit more goodies in too.



I hope you will join me this year in making Christmas a happy and fun filled one for some child you'll never know about. This year I've chosen to gift to an older child. I thought about it and thought you know, there's probably a little girl out there who's never had anything pink in her life, so I chose the 10 to 14 yr old age group and I've had so much joy putting together my shoe box for who ever she is.

Byee for now, oh dear, I'm getting alittle choked up as I think of the dear children who will receive these boxes. I wish my budget would stretch further, but you never know after this week's specialist's visit, I may just have money left over to another box or two before the end of the month deadline. If you live in the north west of Sydney, you can take your shoe boxes to FM103.2 radio staion in Leabons Lane Seven Hills as they are an official drop off site.

love, hugs and blessings to you
Wirg x x

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Operation Christmas Child is fantastic Wirg - we dropped filled three boxes off at our Church this morning, hope the kids who receive them get a lot of joy out of what we chose for them! My Mum's Church in NZ does this too - I think it will become an annual tradition for our family now.

Hugs,
Pepper

Michelle said...

What a wonderful cause.

Luv Shelee :)

Sandie said...

Gidday Wirg, it is a great cause.
We do this one at school actually.

Well done.

Luv Sandie